1. Move slowly into the stretch.
2. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds prior to exercise (warm-up) and for 30
seconds post exercise (cool-down).
3. Breathe and relax while holding the stretch.
4. NEVER do any bouncy stretching, always hold and relax.
5. Focus on the muscle you are trying to stretch and then try to lengthen it.
6. You may be able to breath in and push the stretch slightly further half way
through the stretch. This is most important during cool-down.
7. Move slowly out of the stretch again.
8. Remember to stretch both sides.
9. Increasing the range of movement around a joint will help the blood flow to
the muscles surrounding the joint and increase circulation that will carry
away any lactic acids that may build up in the muscle.
10.Do more stretching that just warm-up and cool-down. A lot of gyms offer
stretch-classes where the aim is to permanently and progressively to
increase your flexibility.